Tuesday 28 September 2010

What's The Crack?


Seriously, what is the big deal with this game? I've just got it today, on a rental vibe, and I can't seem to understand it. I played the original, and I didn't really enjoy it, bemused by a bunch of nostalgic folk talking about the game that made the Xbox 360's early days tolerable and full of light. With the new one, I decided to give it a try, and see if they've done something different.

They haven't.


It's more of the same. Which sadly, isn't for me. It's entertaining enough, but I feel like it's depth could be discovered by playing a display console edition in HMV. It seems a little shallow to me. Maybe I'm missing the point of it, but the action doesn't make up for it either. The weapons are a tad disappointing, the driving is clumsy, and the whole Agility Orb Schtick just leaves me frustrated, wanting to get to ledges and failing constantly.


All in all, I'm left disappointed. In this day and age, we CAN have sandbox games with compelling storylines. I didn't rate it, but GTAIV really had purpose, and drive to it. You wanted the plot to unfold, a feeling that I sadly didn't get with Crackdown.

At the same time, it doesn't ramp up the insanity factor enough. Just Cause 2, which I'd class in a similar vein, was absolutely insane. Lassooing dudes to cars, parachuting off buildings, riding nukes. It was ridiculous. It didn't take itself seriously, and revelled in it. It was the cheeky schoolboy, sat in the corner winking as he filled his straw with another spitwad.


The problem is that Crackdown 2 doesn't know where it is. It's trying to deliver a serious plot with tension and atmosphere, whilst a commentator screams at you to 'kill that bitch, Agent!' The game is confused, and as a result, so am I. After the pleasurable romp that was Just Cause 2, my faith in the OTT sandbox game was restoring, but it's games like Prototype and Crackdown 2 that are making it difficult for them to be taken seriously as great games.

No comments:

Post a Comment