Thursday 24 June 2010

E3 2010: Three Dee Eee Three


I've recently been on holiday. The beer was good, the scenery was nice and the weather was warm. But as we all know, holidays are a time of cutting off. From home, from stress and from our beloved consoles. So what do we do when we're on holiday? We boot up the handhelds, of course.

After a brief flirtation with the PSP, my DS has time and time again shown just how good the little blighter has become. What was once a platform that was pissed all over by Nintendogs, quality and off-beat releases has ensured that the DS appeals to a wide fanbase, with games for everyone. I was sucked into Pokemon on my holiday, and fell in love with the little critters all over again.

Pokemon. Straight-up science shit.

So, when we were dividing up what to tackle after this years E3, I thought I would chat about my suprising and sudden anticipation for the Nintendo 3DS...


Now, before we start getting the knives out as 'serious' gamers, I know exactly what you're thinking, because I was thinking it too. Surely, this isn't it? They've added an analogue nub, and some shitty gimmick in the form of a '3-D' screen. Surely, this can't be Nintendo's next leap. The same console, but with a few shit add-ons? The next DS XL. Trojan Horse. Nintendo up to it's new old tricks.

But I honestly don't think this is the case. From my feverous Twitter following, all of the games journalists have gone absolute BONKERS for this. Apparently the 3D isn't a gimmick, but an actual, factual revelation of gameplay, offering a staggering 3D display, without any glasses or aids. The console also has a slider on the side, to adjust the level of 3D to your eyes, and also to turn it off entirely if you wish. The fears of this 'gimmick' have been all but quashed.

Kid Icarus. Nintendo Fanboy Wetdream.

And Nintendo have finally starting listening to the hardcore. Resident Evil, Kid Icarus, Starfox, Paper Mario and that Ocarina of Time remake. This is like a gamer's wet dream, and all being announced to be released on the 3DS, all at one E3. Nintendo came with a game plan: to assure and excite the hardcore gamers. And I for one am excited.

So in a year when Microsoft and Sony focused on the families and casual gamers, Nintendo was the platform that emerged to be thrusting it's focus right at the hardcore fans. And I didn't think I'd be saying THAT this time last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment