Saturday 1 May 2010

Bayonetta: First Impressions


I got this from my Lovefilm account, as I didn't think I would like it, and was originally unimpressed with the demo. That being said, I decided to give it a chance, based on what my friends' experiences and anecdotes of the game. I'm about 2-3 hours in, and I must say, I'm pretty disappointed.

It just seems like a joke that I don't get.


It's repetitive, silly to the point of dullness, and just generally boring. One button bashing, Stephen Hawking would rule at this game. The dodging mechanic isn't bad, but the combat is far too fast, far too boring and skill-less. It doesn't feel like I'm particularly doing anything, rather just smashing buttons.

The soundtrack is also ridiculous. Not to the point of ironic delight, just to the point of it being dirge. So much so, I turned it off after about 30 minutes of grim realisation, and put on some hardcore metal. I hate Metal, but it seems to fit in well. The smooth jazz tones may work in Marvel vs Capcom, but here it just drags, and turns the game into an out-of-place oddity.


After playing God of War III, this is a big step down. Where God of War had panache and stylish brutality, this replaces these with OTT weird angel-looking things, and a plot that makes no fucking sense. I'm going to keep playing, but not for much longer.


1 comment:

  1. Personally I've enjoyed what I've played so far. I haven't played any Devil May Cry/ GOW esque games in a while though, so this is fresh to me

    One thing worth asking though...

    How much do you 'heart' Sega?

    As that has definitely played a part in my early enjoyment of this game.

    The thing I like about Bayonetta is the Sega references I keep picking up on.

    Let's start with the obvious...you collect Rings ("Halo's"), and the bad guy is referred to as "Eggman". Sonic!

    Then there are things such as musical nods, and there are a few of these apparently. So far I've heard the OutRun "Magical Sound Shower" tune during a car ride, and as a massive fan of OutRun that definitely secured a smile out of me.
    I'm waiting for the Space Harrier music that I know is in the game somewhere.

    Also, the cool black dude who hooks you up with weapons and such, he is very over the top with his speech, and his voice sounds a lot like "Isaac Washington" from the recent House of the Dead overkill. I actually IMDB'd the voice actor to find out if it was him (it wasn't) but I'm sure that guy swam in the same idea pool (kind of like Capcom character; Mike Haggar and Zangief).

    There are other references like these thrown in around the game, so for the Sega experienced those sorts of things are nice to see.

    That alone wouldn't keep me playing if I hated the game though I guess, but so far I like it.

    Perhaps this is just a love or hate game?

    ReplyDelete