Saturday 29 May 2010

LOST: Brapscallion


Ok, so LOST is all over. 6 years. 6 seasons. All done. It's been an incredible ride, and with the controversy the finale's currently courting, I thought it would only be right if some of us put our confused thoughts into some kind of order. Don't expect us to reveal mind-bending theories of excruciating dullness, or expect us to say things you may not be already thinking. But sharing helps, so we'd like to share with the group, and chat with you all about one of the greatest TV shows of modern times.


So, I was personally satisfied with the finale. I know a lot of the people weren't, but I thought it gave me the closure I needed after watching all 6 seasons. I think the reason I was satisfied was the emotional pay-off provided. I tried not to concentrate on the lack of science and 'answers', but instead concentrated on the characters themselves, and the peace they had at last found, and their ability to 'let go'. Indeed, I think this was an important theme in the show, almost a nod to the audience, and LOST's notoriously cult fans. If the characters themselves feel it's time to let go, then perhaps it's time for us to let go too. The rememberance scenes with each of the characters were genuinely touching, and were brilliantly done.

A lot of people were unhappy that a lot wasn't explained. Sure, we still don't really know about Dharma, but so what? Did you really want Abrams and Lindelof sat there in directors chairs, chatting for an hour about everything, Q&A style? I think a little bit of mystery is what drives LOST, and leaving stuff to speculation and debate is what's going to keep people guessing and thinking for years. Cop-Out? Maybe. But by doing this, they've kept it alive. How many times are you disappointed when you finally see the villain in a horror movie? Our imagination can create far scarier and more engaging things than anything on the screen.



So, what do I think happened? To describe what's going on is a task in itself, but I'll try and give my interpretation. The Island is based in the real world, and the people on there are alive. On the island, they are given a choice, a chance to redeem themselves for whatever shitty things they have done. The main characters do this, and are so absolved, and are released from purgatory, and allowed into 'heaven'.

On the island, Charlie redeemed himself, by being selfless,
and finding love, fatherhood and happiness.

The idea they all went together was for dramatic effect, and to provide a nice group shot at the end. Dharma and the group the smoke monster sides with at the start shows man's greed, and the constant lust for power. I think the show's lasting message is that no matter what we do, we aren't bad people, and always have a chance to change ourselves, for a better life.

I think the more people talk about it, the more they realise that perhaps not being given exact answers was a good thing. People are talking about LOST now more than ever. If you were expecting the sixth and final season to end with everything answered and no questions left to ask, then you haven't been watching LOST.

No comments:

Post a Comment