Friday 14 May 2010

Skate 3: First Impressions


Due to illness, I've been able to play Skate 3 all day. Now I know what you're thinking, how convenient! But to be honest, if I was going to do that, I would of had some initiative and waited a week until Red Dead Redemption comes out to skive. But alas, I'm properly ill. So inbetween boshing some Paracetamols and swigging Orange Juice, I've been getting to grips with Skate 3. And it's good. But is it any good? Well, yes, but that's not the issue...


The problem is, is that I feel the franchise is suffering from Tony Hawks syndrome. With games like this, it gets difficult to improve upon them, and add new features which genuinely complement the game. Skate 2 was such an incredible game, that this just feels like an add-on pack, rather than a game. The challenges are different, but the create-a-brand aspect seems tacked-on, and a rather weak aspect.

I'm still having a lot of fun with it, and it's still the Skate we know and love, but I'm unsure as to whether it's made the same progress Skate 2 did over the original. I'll take some more drugs, and get cracking to bring you a verdict. Radical, dude.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it's Black Box's fault or EA's, but the game comes out only 1 year after the original.
    That's were the 'Tony Hawks Syndrome' similarities come in to play.

    A whole new city to skate in is great, the addition of co-op play is nice, they've ironed out the difficulty issues some people had by adding an easy mode, and made the off the board controls less "tank driving-esque".

    All good.

    However other than adding Darkslides theres not much difference to the actual gameplay (as great as that may already have been).

    Personally I think if you loved Skate 1, 2 and either Skate It on Wii/ DS then get Skate 3, as at the least it's a great game and has done more than you're average yearly EA sports game would update with.

    However if there's a Skate 4 out this time next year, and we're again making Tony Hawks Syndrome comparisons...then it may be time for people to start voting with there wallets, and let EA/ Black Box know that (we) gamers are not down with yearly minor updates, and want them to spend more time giving the games a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete